Choosing the right gift for somebody as important as your mother for such an important day as Mother’s Day can be difficult! It is no small accomplishment to find something useful, beneficial, and significant, but one gift stands head and shoulders above any other option.
And the remarkable thing? It costs nothing for the giver and is worth everything to the recipient. What is it? Prayer. For many of us, our mother's’ prayers have been critical to our own success in life. Here are 5 ways you can pray for your mother:
- Pray for her mind. Pray that her thoughts would be guarded and guided by truth, and that she would know the peace that comes from trusting wholly in a gracious God whose plans for her are only good.
- Pray for her sight. Pray, as the Psalmist did, that your mom would "see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living" (Psalm 27:13). Ask God to open her eyes to the blessings all around her.
- Pray for her heart. Pray that God would "give [her] the desires of [her] heart and make all [her] plans succeed" (Psalm 20:4). Pray against the discouragement that can so easily rob our mothers of joy. Where your mom has experienced hurts and wrongs done against her, ask the Lord to heal her heart.
- Pray for her hands. Pray God would show her the work she is meant to accomplish--the important, unique role He intends her to fill. Pray she would use whatever gifts God has given her.
- Pray for her knees. Pray she would know the sweet fellowship of time spent with God in prayer.
Committing and praying for your mom is the greatest gift you could give her. Pair this promise with a unique, prayerful book of 12 postcards ready to color and mail, and you have this year's Mother's Day gift ready to go! Buy the book for your mother or for yourself and send the cards to her throughout the next year to remind her of your love and commitment.